The Port Chester High School Concert Choir is a full concert choir, boasting over 100 young men and women’s voices. The group performs at three major concerts a year, and has been adjudicated at the New York State Music Schools Association Majors festival, scoring Silver and Gold at Level 4.
The Port Chester Select Choir is an advanced vocal ensemble, open by audition only. This group meetings one evening week for approximately one hour, and is the representative vocal group which performs for the community. This ensemble also adjudicates at the NYSSMA Majors, and has scored Silver, Gold, and Gold with Distinction performing at Level 5. In addition, the group has been scored “Superior” at the National Music Festivals Competitions.
The Port Chester High School Women’s Ensemble was formed two years ago, and boasts 16 treble voices performing at high level S-S-A repertoire.
- High School Winter Concert
- Founders Night (Select Choir)
- Cabaret (Select Choir/Women’s Ensemble)
- District Vocal/Choral Concert
- High School Spring Concert
All Choir students are eligible to perform a solo vocal piece for either evaluation or numerical rating. Those students performing at level 5 or 6, and receiving a top rating (in relation to all students auditioning from all Westchester High Schools) may be selected to any of the following state groups: Westchester County Schools Music Association Area All-State (Mixed Chorus; Women’s Chorus) and the New York State Schools Music Association All-State (Mixed Choir; Women’s Choir)
Freshmen singers may audition for placement in the WCSMA Intermediate All-County Chorus.
- NYSSMA MAJORS: Senior Concert Choir has achieved Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Select Choir has achieved Silver, Gold, and Gold with Distinction. Select Choir has rated “Superior” at National Music Festivals Competition.
- NYSSMA SOLO FESTIVAL: Singers have received top marks, and have been selected to top state performing groups. In addition, Port Chester High School singers have been selected to All-Eastern, which is comprised of the top high school singers on the East Coast.
TRI-M MUSIC HONOR SOCIETY
The Tri-M Music Honor Society, Chapter 1191, was formed at Port Chester High School in 2001. Students may make application to this prestigious group following first quarter progress reports. ANY music student at Port Chester High School may be admitted to Tri-M provided they meet the following requirements:
- Academic average of 85 or better in all subjects, with no grade lower than 80;
- Enrollment in any two of the following music sequences:
- Band/Chorus, Music Theory I/II, Harmony, Advanced Placement Music Theory, Jazz Band, Percussion Ensemble, Select Choir, Women’s Choir, Music Production, Music Production Advanced.
To be considered for an officer position, students must have participated in the NYSSMA Solo Festival OR Intermediate All-County.
Tri-M Music Honor Society is a SERVICE organization. Students assist at all District concerts with student supervision, refreshments, raffles, etc. In addition, Tri-M has established a student mentor program where our high school musicians assist beginning elementary musicians. Tri-M has hosted VOCO, the National Winning Acappella Ensemble, a Guitar Workshop with professional guitarist Thomas Ventura, and hosts a yearly Battle of the Bands, featuring some of the area's finest young musicians.